Sunday, September 28, 2014

June 14, 2013

It was Friday.  I was off work, packed, and ready to head to OKC to spend the weekend with Mom, Dad, and Emily.  Emily was driving up from College Station for the weekend and we planned a weekend full of shopping and hanging out.  I had a doctors appointment with Dr. Chastain (my OB/Gyn) that morning and was headed out straight from there.  Chris didn't come to this appointment because it was a normal checkup and was in the middle of "busy season."  Being married to a farmer has taught me patience and understanding like no other.  He's the hardest worker I know, besides my own Dad.  Probably the biggest reason I love him.   So, upon my examination with Dr. Chastain, it was discovered that my cervix was open.  Disclaimer:  do not read the following few sentences if you are weirded out by medical stuff.  Dr. Chastain is a firm believed in doing cervical exams at each appointment to check your uterus and cervix. I will forever be grateful to this man for doing these exams.  It is NOT protocol to complete these at each and every appointment.  Praise GOD he did.  He saved Slate's life.  After the painful exam (which hadn't been painful in past appointments), he delivered the worst news of my life.  "Mandie, I have bad news....your cervix is open and you have to go straight to bed."  Wait, what????  I have had a phenomenal pregnancy thus far.  I haven't been sick, I'm healthy, I'm still doing the things I did prior to pregnancy.  How could this be?  I can't go to bed, I can't sit still for more than 5 minutes!!!!  I have a practice to take care of and patients and employees that depend on me.  I have a lawn to mow (its my therapy, don't judge).  I have a nursery to prepare for this baby.  You have lost your mind, Dr. Chastain!!!!  Well, that all came to an abrupt and complete stop.  He ordered me to COMPLETE  bed rest.  I was to go straight to the hospital for our first dose of Celestone (steroid shots for Slate's lungs) and then directly to bed.  He advised me he would check me again in 3 days.  Damn.  Damn.  Damn.  I was in disbelief.  I had to call my husband and tell him we were in trouble with our precious baby.  I had to tell my family I wouldn't be driving to OKC and that Slate was at a huge risk of being delivered too early.  I had to tell my work family that I would be MIA for an undisclosed amount of time and depend on them to take care of my patients.  Unbelievable.  So, I went to bed.  Ordered to drink LOTS of water, only get up to go to the restroom, take a BATH 1x/day, and put my feet above my head.  Awesome.  My sinuses will love this.  But, I did it.  Chris came home immediately after I called him with the news and we went straight to the hospital for our 1st of 2 steroid shots.  Mom and Emily hit the road and came quickly to help prepare me for the nursery and provide moral support.  My new life was on the couch, fearing for the unknown and livelihood of my unborn baby boy.
My 2 "sitters."  They made sure I didn't move from the couch.
Pregnancy cravings that Chris provided for me.  

To take our minds off things, I ordered the carseat and stroller while on bed rest.  Daddy assembling the new goods while I watched. 

Sweet Asher was serious about bed rest.  He laid on top of me for the entire week.


No comments:

Post a Comment